Tuesday, July 29, 2014

TUESDAY REVIEWSDAY: "A Missive with Love." by Michael Leath

Tuesday Reviewsday:



"A Missive With Love" by Michael Leath.
Published in Firewords Quarterly, Issue One - Spring 2014

This story is like that photograph, frayed and held together by tape that has turned yellow over the years. That photo that you found in your grandparents closet in an album full of faces long forgotten. Or that photo in the rusty, antique frame that sits on your aunts mantel. The picture is of a young couple staring into each others eyes with such love that it makes you smile. It makes your day. It makes you crave that wholesome, beautiful love from the olden days that warms you like a bath on a cold winter night.

At least that is what I wished for. I wished that this story had that beautiful "The Notebook" ending. I wanted so much for the unnamed husband and wife of "A Missive with Love". I want to know how they met and I want to read about their honeymoon in Paris. I want to read all the love letters that she'd received from him in the height of their romance. This "Missive" is the end of a poignant, delicately woven story that speaks to your heart like a love letter, torn to pieces.

Although this short story leaves me aching I cannot think that there was any love lost in this piece. The love that the husband and wife had for each other resonates throughout and flows clearly though to the end. Hearts are broken but Love was freed with a heartbreaking price. 

I want to see that happy photograph of the love that was once so bright and new. I want to see the light in her eyes as she looks at her new husband on the decks of the Eiffel Tower. I want to read about their tender kisses and embraces of yesterday. 

This is a story of wanting and letting go. Mr. Leath has done his job well. He makes me wish that things had ended differently. He leaves me wanting the happy ending that will never come.

Michael Leath is a Vietnam Vet, former screenplay writer and a life long Texan. I had the pleasure of making his acquaintance on Trigger Street Labs, a website for writers and filmmakers. Please check out more of his work at http://www.michaelleath.com. If you would like an entire magazine full of imagination and creativity please go to http://www.firewords.co.uk to snatch up the latest Firewords Quarterly. Mr. Leath also has a novel published for purchase on Amazon. Go HERE to purchase "Queen takes Kings Pawn."

No comments:

Post a Comment